Monday, 1 April 2013

Weebly


On Saturday March 23, 2013 I logged in to Live Classroom 2.0 for the first time. I joined the presentation on Weebly http://tinyurl.com/cr20live, presented by Valerie Burton. Weebly is an e-portfolio that can be used in your classroom with the students. Weebly is offered as a free program and if you get other people to use the program you can receive extra portfolio’s to use. There is an option to upgrade to a higher level of Weebly, but it costs to do that. Valerie informed us that it is not worth upgrading, because she only uses the free version and is able to do everything she wants on it. Weebly for educators can be used to publish announcements, post tips and reminders for parents and students, collect assignments and artifacts, import files, video’s and pictures, create links to other websites and create digital student portfolio’s. Students are able to build new individual and collaborative skills by using this program.

Valerie provided us with a link to a beginners guide to Weebly: http://help.weebly.com/beginners-guide.html that aids in learning how to navigate the program. Valerie mentioned that the toughest part of the program is getting her students to remember to publish their work, because without hitting “publish,” it will not make it up onto the portfolio.

During the presentation, I asked about the mediating aspect and what she has done to minimize inappropriate postings. Valerie said that she has her students sign a contract to help avoid inappropriate comments and they talk about what is appropriate and what is not. She said that at the end of each day she goes on to check what they have posted and she has the ability to delete posts that are inappropriate.

This autonomous learning online experience was great, because I was able to find something that I was interested in learning more about and could really dive into the conversation and felt like I took something away from it at the end. I also loved that there was a way access the presentation afterwards, incase you missed something. The only drawback that I could think of was that the technology in the beginning acted up and we weren't able to start right away and we lost some people's microphone's along the way. Other than those glitches it was great!

At the end of the presentation, Valerie provided us with a few samples of e-portfolios, including this example: http://syaisomanang.weebly.com/ that was created by a student. I can’t wait to try and implement this resource into my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment